Because of the ongoing pandemic, Star Wars Celebration was cancelled this year. Luckily, an awesome group of fans got together to make ForceFest: Celebrating The Saga, a virtual convention taking place over the weekend of August 28-30, 2020.
I’m going to hosting a panel:
A Look Back at Star Wars Animation
A look back at Star Wars animation discussing Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels, and Star Wars Resistance. Also a peek into what’s to come from the newly announced The Bad Batch series.
Joining me are three amazing panelists! First up, there’s Candace from The Geeky Waffle, which is an awesome media podcast covering a variety of topics. Next, we have Arezou who is an excellent book reviewer over on her website! Last but certainly not least, we’re joined by Thomas from The Legal Geeks podcast. I’m so honored to talk with this group of people. They’re some of the smartest people I know.
Our panel is August 30th 11am PT/2pm EST. There will be multiple ways to watch, but the main link is HERE on GetVokl. It will also be simulcasted on Facebook and YouTube. I don’t have the exact links at the moment. Keep an eye on my social media in the coming days. I will post updates there!
Don’t fret if you can’t watch live this weekend! Once I get the audio and video, I will post the panel. The video will go up on my YouTube channel. Since it’s a Star Wars animation panel, the audio will go on my Star Wars podcast, Jaig Eyes and Jedi.
ForceFest is also teaming up with The Make-A-Wish Foundation! You’ll be able to donate live during the panel or at anytime with this link.
I hope to see you this weekend! There’s going to be so many amazing panels all weekend long! Here’s more information about the event from their press release:
In the wake of a postponed Star Wars Celebration this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Richard and I have partnered with Tyler Bucks, Christy Morris & Frank Rich to create ForceFest: Celebrating The Saga, a virtual convention taking place over the original Star Wars Celebration weekend: August 28-30, 2020. Our goal is to replicate the best part of Star Wars Celebration — the community of fans — as well as the giving nature of those fans, by raising money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
What is ForceFest?
ForceFest is a virtual Star Wars-themed convention that is FREE to attend and is hosted on GetVokl.com, a community-based live-streaming platform. Over the course of 3 days, August 28-30, sixty panels hosted by as many podcasters and content creators will air live on GetVokl, and also simulcast to Facebook and YouTube. Unlike ComicCon@Home, ForceFest panels will be live, and those watching on GetVokl can interact with panelists and other viewers in a live off-camera chat, as well as donate to Make-A-Wish live.
You can expect panels that tackle some hot topics (Rose Tico Deserved Better, Navigating Fandom with Different Abilities, Celebrating the Diversity in Star Wars) and also those celebrating special milestones (The High Ground: Celebrating 15 Years of “Revenge of the Sith,” “The Empire Strikes Back” at 40). Plenty more panels will feature fun, geeky conversation (LEGO and Star Wars, Real Lightsaber Martial Arts, This Is The Law: Lawyers on The Mandalorian, Women in Fandom-Built Business).
ForceFest features 6 stages, each focused on different aspects of Star Wars:
- Content Creator Stage – featuring Star Wars podcasters and YouTubers.
- Live Action Stage – focused on live action films and TV shows in Star Wars.
- Books, Comics & Animation Stage – panels about books, comics or the beloved animated Star Wars shows.
- Interviews and Discussions Stage – Topics on Diversity, mental health; and interviews with Lucasfilm alumni and artists.
- Collecting, Art and Fandom Stage – Collectors and art lovers – this is the Stage for you. A celebration of fandom.
- Cantina Lounge – This is part panel and part chat room. Learn Star Wars Origami, laugh with Chatter Squadron, drink with the Sci-Fi Pubcast, sing with the Star Wars Musical, dance with Star Wars DJ’s Levelupleroy and DJ Elliot!
Click on each stage above to peruse panel names and descriptions that suit your interests.
The Best Way To Attend ForceFest
- Creating a free GetVokl account on your computer is the best way to watch and interact live in the chat, and donate live to Make-A-Wish using VCoin (like Twitch Bits). Many panelists will have a Q&A section, and you may even be invited to “Grab a Spot” on live video to ask a question! The GetVokl platform is heavily focused on community, which is why we’ve partnered with them for ForceFest.
- Bookmark the GetVokl ForceFest Landing Page for easy access to the schedule and Stages.
- Once you’ve created an account, check out all six of the ForceFest stages for panels you want to see. Subscribe to the stages for a “going-live” notification when panels start.
- Download the GetVokl app to your mobile device and allow notifications to make sure you don’t miss your favorite panel.
How to Follow Along
- Like the official ForceFest Facebook Page and subscribe to the official ForceFest YouTube channel. Panels will be simulcast to Facebook, and viewable on YouTube. You won’t get the live interaction that you’d get on GetVokl, but this is a great way to see the content as it happens.
- Panels will be recorded and available to view at any time on GetVokl.com, Facebook and YouTube.
- Follow #ForceFest2020, and @ForceFestSaga on Twitter and Instagram for the latest updates.
How to Donate to Make-A-Wish
- GetVokl will match 33% of all donations made through GetVokl VCoin! Purchase VCoin on GetVokl, and use it to donate during a panel. (tap the handy blue V diamond button on your screen). Everyone watching will see that you’ve donated, and that can inspire even more people to donate!
- You can also donate directly to Make-A-Wish through the ForceFest donation page.
See You There!